Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 01:52:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        sobomax@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/print/ghostscript-afpl Makefile distinfo     pkg-plist ports/print/ghostscript-afpl/files escputil.contrib.mak        hpijs.contrib.mak patch-hpijs:makefile patch-hpijs:platform.h          patch-src:unix-gcc.mak stp.contrib.mak  ports/print/ghostscript-afpl/scripts ...

>> It will read JPEG images, that  Adobe thinks are conformant. I think,
>> it is a good  thing. As I say elsewhere, the  define only affects the
>> reading  part  of the  JPEG  library.  Which  means, we  become  more
>> accepting to what  others generate, while still  generating only what
>> everybody can accept.
>
> If they  (Adobe) feel the right  to violate the standard  in their own
> propiertary format - so be it,  but I don't see any significant reason
> why standalone non-conformat images shouldn't be rejected.

And why are you not expressing disagreement with the Ghostscript people,
who chose to accept the  non-strictly-conformant JPEG? What's wrong with
accepting it, for crying out loud?  In many different places the "strict
generation, generous acceptance" strategy is used, why not here? Are you
afraid  someone will  start generating  those non-conformant  images and
claim, that they are conformant since FreeBSD reads them? Ridiculous...

> I don't see why our jpeg library should differ from the same libraries
> on the  number of platforms out  there.

Well, certainly, you don't mind our entire OS being different... Lots of
ports  (including JPEG)  have feature-adding  and/or bug-fixing  patches
thus becoming different. Why  is it Ok for us to have  a more secure TCL
(mkstemp()), for example, but not more accepting libjpeg?

> If you really  think that this patch should go  into FreeBSD libjpeg -
> try to convice JPEG folks instead.

A number of  patches were placed into hundreds of  different ports while
ALSO being submitted  to the vendors, who may choose  to ignore, accept,
or reject them. I myself did this for the JPEG port itself (patch-ad and
-ae), although  JPEG people did not  want it, since setlocale()  did not
seem sufficiently universal for them.  If ports maintainers feel like it
is  a good  idea,  the patch  stays.  So  far, there  are  at least  two
maintainers, who think it is, and one, who does not...

	-mi