Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 15:04:53 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@bart.nl>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Homepage, take two.

-On [19991207 21:50], Eivind Eklund (eivind@FreeBSD.ORG) wrote:
>On Sun, Dec 05, 1999 at 01:34:21PM +0100, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
>> -On [19991205 13:00], Eivind Eklund (eivind@FreeBSD.ORG) wrote:
>> >On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 10:39:02PM +0100, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

>> >Rephrase of the first listed goal above, with extensions:

>> >2. Make it easy to set up BSD based clusters.
>
>2.1 Documentation
>2.1.1 A guide to seeing what you need from a cluster, and choosing
>      available technology.
>2.1.2 Guides for setting up each of the common cluster forms for BSD
>
>2.2 Code
>2.2.1 Pre-made ports for any relevant cluster packages
>2.2.2 Writing any necessary tools that do not already exist
>2.2.3 Integrate enabling technology into the BSD codebases
>2.2.4 Integration of clustering in the BSD codebases, including a
>      'native' clustering system for BSD

Added these to the goals page.

>> >We need to have enough text that people
>> >1) Understand what clusters are
>> >2) Understand what high availability is (at least to a degree)
>> >3) Understand why they would want clusters

(some of this falls in the what is a cluster/what is high availability
section)

- So that maximum operation for a certain defined service is maintained
  at all times,

- Guarantee that there is a fallback solution for mission-critical
  servers.

>> >4) Understand where there are 'leverage points' where they can
>> >   contribute to make a maximal difference
>> >5) Understand why the route chosen forward (which we need to choose,
>> >   at least to a degree) has been chosen
>>
>> I think I can manage some initial text on 1 and 2, drawing from the
>> texts already online.
>
>I'll feed you with ideas for the other points, if you are willing to
>write them up.

Sure.  Always welcome.  Also from other people of course. =)

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          Network- and systemadministrator
<asmodai@bart.nl>                      bART Internet Services /