Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 15:18:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jgrosch@mooseriver.com, brett@lariat.org, jasone@canonware.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, grog@lemis.com, kline@tera.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Brett Glass and reality (was: Windows Refund Day: Watch out for  Linux tactics)

Terry Lambert said:

> You need to read the FAQ; Brett is right.  From:
>
> http://hugin.imat.com/refund/faq/

> Q: Are users of proprietary non-Microsoft OSes on Intel, such as BeOS,
>    SolarisX86, SCO UnixWare, OS/2, QNX, and NeXTstep for Intel (to name
>    a few) also welcome?
>
> A: This is an initiative of and by the open-source software community.
>    We welcome separate efforts by users of proprietary OSes, who would
>    certainly have an equally valid claim. If you hear of such an effort
>    or want to start one, please contact arlo@linuxmafia.com, and we'll
>    be glad to assist (e.g., share information and link to your Web site).
>
> Apparently VA Research is making and distributing T-shirts for
> coming to the refund day.  From the wording, I think they may
> specifically be Linux T-shirts, and that you have to show up
> at one of the car-pool points to get one (e.g., they may not
> give them out at the site if you didn't come with them).  This
> would definitely provide higher visibility by providing Linux
> branded "uniforms".

The in-a-way *sad* thing is that the BSD people are held to a higher
standard...

I wonder if the BSD people are Republicans of the free software world,
and Linux people are the Democrats :-).  (Allusion to the very sorry
state of politics in the US -- extreme double standard.)  Whether or
not Brett is over-advocating, at least he has the commitment to do so.
Is he anywhere as "bad" as Stallman (regarding blind, religious and
judgemental advocacy), for example?  How negatively has he affected
the software industry?  Is it anywhere nearly as bad as most of the
truly religious advocates?  Can Brett's attitude really be resolved
to religion, or is it really concern over the distruction of the
financial motivations for creativity?  It is pretty obvious that
it is the latter, and not the former.

BSD people are not allowed to "lower" themselves to the advocacy level?
That is (in a way) sad, but also good (in a way.)

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid