Date:      Thu, 20 May 2004 15:47:57 -0700
From:      Jason Taylor <jason@infinitebubble.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: graphics files not printing correctly

Jason Taylor wrote:

> I've followed the directions in the handbook for setting up lpd and also
> installed apsfilter via ports and ran /usr/local/share/apsfilter/SETUP.
>  In general printing is working.  For example, a text document from OOo
> prints just fine.  However, when I attempt to print a jpeg file the
> result is what I can best describe as a blurry negative image.  That's
> not terribly accurate.  It's more like it's been converted to only a
> handful of colors and possibly some colors dropped altogether.
>
> I've tried both the native gs driver and the gimp-print stp driver with
> the same results.  Test pages printed from within the apsfilter setup
> look great.  The problem does not seem to be limited to jpegs in
> particular.  A pdf from a few days ago was also blurred/color
> reduced/altered.  Images printed directly from firefox a week or so ago
> show the same symptoms.  Whether those were jpeg, gif, png, or something
> else, I'm not certain.
>
> I've ruled out any network issues by copying a few jpeg files over to
> the server and printing them locally.  I've also converted a few from
> jpeg to ps and back again to rule out imagemagick.
>
> I'm confident that the printer itself is in good order based on the good
> test pages and it having worked well on a WinXP just prior to having
> been moved over the the FreeBSD box.  I no longer have any Windows
> machines around to check that it still works on them.  :-D
>
> Any tips will be much appreciated.

I'm happy to report that the problem is resolved.  I can't really say I
figured it out.  I didn't do anything differently than yesterday.  I
looked through the apsfilter SETUP script to see what it does to print a
test page, replicated it manually, substituting my own jpg converted to
ps.  That worked!  So I ran through the SETUP script again allowing it
to overwrite everything that had been there and now it just works.