Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2001 18:08:06 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-print@bostonradio.org, freebsd-audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Large Cleanup update for lpr & friends

I started to write an update to eliminate some of the
warnings one gets when compiling lpr with BDECFLAGS. To
do that, I needed to add 'const' to various parameters
in procedure declarations.

As long as I was going to be hitting several procedure
declarations, I also decided to ANSI-ify all of lpr.
I have eliminated __P(), and modernized the actual
routine definitions as described in style(9).  I tried
to get all the details right, such as tabbing and using
"protected names" in the declarations.  In some cases
I renamed a few parameters to fix warnings about
    "declaration of `blah' shadows global declaration"

While making all of these changes, I used 'md5' to be
sure the object code did not change.  Thus, while this
does try to do a lot of cleanup, it only cleans up those
things which would not change any object code.

This eliminated about 100 (out of 300) warnings that one
gets when compiling lpr with BDECFLAGS.

The patch is about 2300 lines, so I think I'll post a
url instead of including the whole patch here.  The
result is at:

ftp://freefour.acs.rpi.edu/pub/bsdlpr/lpr-spruce.diff

Please let me know if I got any "cleanup details" wrong,
as long as it's cleanup that won't change the object code.
I'm obviously hoping to apply this to current "sometime
soon", as it's a large patch and would probably conflict
with any other patch that anyone might happen to write
for lpr.  Also, I intend to follow up this patch with
some more patches to lpr & friends.

"Sometime soon" would be next weekend at the earliest,
or later if there is any feedback coming in.  I don't
mind waiting longer just as long as OTHER people don't
panic and start rushing in any updates THEY might have
lying around...

If I should post the whole patch to freebsd-audit, let
me know.

Also note that this does NOT change the makefile to turn
on BDECFLAGS, I only add those on my test system.