Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 97 13:15:34 -0800
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Info: 16 char usernames in 2.2-Stable

	A while ago there was a discussion about moving the ability to
work with more than 8 character usernames in the 2.2 branch.  I decided to
give it a go on my test system, and it's working fine.  I thought I'd pass
this info on in case anyone else is interested in trying it.

	First off, to make it work edit /usr/src/sys/sys/param.h, changing
MAXLOGNAME to 18, and /usr/src/include/utmp.h changing UT_NAMESIZE to 16.
Now do a make world. :)  This will let you have usernames of 16
charachters or less.  It was originally reported that the value of
MAXLOGNAME should be 17, but when I tried that I got an error from
setusercontext( ) when I tried logging in with a 16 char username,
although a 15 char username worked.

	So far everything seems pretty happy with the 16 character names.
The ps has a problem with lining things up, and gnuls truncates the names
to 8.  Anyone have a suggestion about gnuls?  I really like it, but not
seeing the whole uid/gid is getting confusing. :)  I'm going to try
colorls when I get a chance.  FreeBSD's ls handles the long names just
fine after the make world.

	The only other thing I had to change so far was adduser.  There is
a check to see if the username is >8 characters, I just changed it to 16
(once in the code, and once in the warning message) and it worked fine.

I hope someone finds this info useful,

Doug

*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the  world's largest
*** Internet Relay Chat server. 4,168 clients and still growing. :-)
*** Try spider.dal.net on ports 6662-4    (Powered by FreeBSD)
***		Part of the DALnet IRC network		***