Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2001 18:44:20 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        <ia64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ski port

On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 05:44:02PM +0100, Doug Rabson wrote:
> > On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> >
> > > We're currently not really interested in userland code, so we're
> > > going to run ski in "raw" mode anyway. I should be able to hack
> > > something together that allows us to work on a real EFI bootloader.
> > > With a combination of fake and real ACPI entries we should be able
> > > to boot a kernel as if it was running on real hardware, right?
> > >

> > That would probably be pretty useful. It sounds like a *lot* of work
> > though. EFI is pretty extensive.
>
> Yes, it would be a lot of work. And I can imagine that the ski owners
> are not going to keep the feature if it wasn't done right. I think
> it's good to have. I just want to make sure I spend my time well and
> not waste it on a feature that will never complete and/or won't be
> used.

Before you start, I suggest you pick up a copy of the EFI sample
implementation source and have a look at that. Actually, having that
source around is pretty useful for clarifying bits of the EFI spec.

> Another thought struck me. As soon as we have our own toolchain, we
> probably will use DBX as the debugging format and not dwarf. I'd
> better make sure that ski supports DBX if we want it to be as useful
> then as it is now.

I have no idea what format is considered best these days. I thought that
dwarf2 was the direction things were moving in though.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Phone: +44 20 8348 6160