Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 1998 14:26:14 -800
From:      "Dave Walton" <walton@nordicdms.com>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, chris@bb.cc.wa.us, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: console Freezes.

On  9 Jul 98 at 2:57, sos@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:

> > On  8 Jul 98 at 14:49, Chris Coleman wrote:
> >
> > > I am having a problem with my console freezing.  The vtys just stop
> > > responding. i am running a 2.2.6-Stablish version on a Pentium 100.  X
> > > still works if I run kdm.  I can login remotely.  dialup to the server
> > > still works,  Just the terminals freeze.  I can't switch virtual
> > > terminals.  I must be something with the console driver.  Where do I start
> > > looking.  I have tried rebooting and it freezes up after a while.
> >
> > Would you happen to recall why you removed ASYNCH?  Is there some
> > other option that might cure this problem?
>
> It was removed because it was stale code that didn't work, it just put
> in someloooong delays and therefor masked the problem.

I don't understand this.  When I encountered this problem, the
console would permanently stop taking input after a short time.  It
was *very* reproduceable.  Adding "options ASYNCH" completely
eliminated my problem, and there are several messages in the archives
from people who got similar results.  I'm not sure I'd call that
"masking" the problem.  (On the other hand, I certainly don't claim
to know the underlying cause of the problem.)

> The hanging console problem was solved later in 1.183 IIRC.

Hmmm...  1.183 says "Fix the hanging keyboard problem under Xaccel."
In my case, I didn't even have X installed on that system.  The
console would hang just from hitting Alt-F1/Alt-F2 to swap vtys.  Of
course, these could easily be just different manifestations of the
same problem.

Chris:
What's the version number at the top of
/usr/src/sys/i386/isa/syscons.c on your system?

Dave