Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 22:09:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        mi@aldan.algebra.com, peter@netplex.com.au (Peter Wemm), current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: solid NFS patch #6 avail for -current - need testers files)

:> Speaking of, when can we expect to see this wonderfull _stability_
:> improvement in -stable? I'm setting up a server here, and would
:
:Usually when we're sure it's not a pessimization in other ways.  I
:think people are getting just a bit prematurely excited here, not to
:knock Matt's good work or anything but I think even he would be the
:last to jump up and down saying "NFS is fixed!  It's totally perfect
:now!" as some younger, less wise heads are currently saying. :-)
:
:- Jordan

    NFS is definitely not fixed.  NFS/TCP is still broken, the leasing stuff
    is still broken, and probably a bunch of other esoteric situations will
    cause breakage.  There are still issues with stale file handles.  There is
    no locking support ( however much NFS locking is a bad idea in general ).

    But it's *much* better then it was before'.  The patch is certainly
    good enough to commit into -current.

    It is not commitable to -stable, though, because it depends on -current's
    VM & VFS/BIO system.

    From my point of view, NFS/VM/VFS/BIO is now sitting where it *should*
    have been sitting a year ago if people had been paying more attention to
    it.  If this were a Matt Dillon project, I would be sitting at my first
    'beta' release :-( and everything up to this point would have been alpha.

    We have a long ways to go, folks.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>