Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 17:02:22 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <st@i-Plus.net>
To:        <earhart@i1.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Question. (subnetting and stuff)

>On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, earhart@i1.net wrote:
>> I have just recently started up a webserver.  I have a Dedicated Dialup
>> 56k connection.  My ISP Subnetted my 6 IP Addresses.. But I can't seem
>> to get the PPP Dialer to accept all 6.  The IP's Are:
>>
>> 199.190.102.121
>> 199.190.102.122
>> 199.190.102.123
>> 199.190.102.124
>> 199.190.102.125
>> 199.190.102.126

Looking at this, I would say that the people at your ISP need to take a
course in basic networking.  They've made things much more difficult than
they need to be.

Here's my setup, all IP addresses have been changed to protect the innocent
:)

-  Start by assigning a subnet 199.190.102.124/29 (netmask 255.255.255.248)
-  199.190.102.124 will be the network address for your LAN
-  199.190.102.131 will be the broadcast address
-  I would suggest to assign 199.190.102.125 as the primary IP on your
router (machine that is making the ppp connection to your ISP).  This will
serve as the default gateway for all other machines on your LAN.
-  Next, when making your connection, your ISP should assign your ppp
session an IP address outside your subnet (say 199.190.102.129), and route
your subnet to that IP address.

Assuming that you run FreeBSD on your router, you'll need to edit
/etc/rc.conf to turn the 'gateway' option on.
Your usable IP addresses range from 102.125 to 102.130

>> Also.  On setting up a virtual domain, how would I go about assigning a
>> IP address to it?

Best bet here, would be to let your ISP deal with this.  If you insist on
tackleing it yourself, I would reccomend reading the DNS and BIND book from
ORA.

Good luck,

--
Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services