Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 1998 15:41:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spike Gronim <spork@erols.com>
To:        Mark Cockrum <n9842643@cc.wwu.edu>
Cc:        dc-stuff@dis.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP books

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Mark Cockrum wrote:

> I'm a college student who just installed a copy of FreeBSD that
> got at Defcon this summer.  I have a copy of The Complete FreeBSD
> by Greg Lehey, and I am starting to feel "somewhat" comfortable
> witht the operating system.
>
> Greg's book goes somewhat in depht about TCP/IP, but i'm looking
> for a book to contuning to learning about TCP/IP networks and
> the security issues present in them.  I noticed on defcon.org
> a few books, namely TCP/IP illustrated vol. 1,2,3, Pratical
> UNIX and internet security by Garfinkel and Spafford, and TCP/IP
> network adminastration by Craig Hunt.  I'm hopeing for a book
> that can tie in TCP/IP security issues well with UNIX (and
> namely FreeBSD) enviroments.  (i.e. none of that WinNT bullshit.)
> Keep in mind I don't know a great deal about UNIX or TCP/IP
> (well, i got PPP to work in FreeBSD) so the book can't be to
> top-heavy.
>
> Can anyone give me a good sugestion on wich books to buy?

My friend has TCP/IP Ilustrated, 1,2,3, which he thought were great. I've
got "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment", also by Richard
Stevens, and it was great so the TCP/IP Ilustrated series should give you
a really good knowledge of TCP/IP.

> thanks,
>  -MC
>

>  ___
> <@,@>  Mark A. Cockrum              Powered by FreeBSD 2.2.6
> ì`-'U  Inferno Prod., LTD.
> -"-"-  napalm@halcyon.com / n9842643@cc.wwu.edu
> Visit our 'zine: No Comment Needed - http://ncn.cjb.net

	-Spike Gronim
	 sporkl@erols.com

		The majority only rules those who let them.