Date:      Fri, 03 Dec 1999 10:14:39 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "nat" <nat@unixlover.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: changing hostname..

On Thu, 02 Dec 1999 16:33:26 PST, "nat" wrote:

> I wanted to change my hostname and so i edited the rc.conf file and
> changed my hostname.  After that everything reflected my settings...
> Did i do it correctly?

Well that depends on what you set ``hostname'' to in /etc/rc.conf. :-)

But yes, changing it in /etc/rc.conf is the correct thing to do.  If you
don't want to reboot for the change to take effect, you can use the
hostname(1) command from the command line.

> The reason that i am questioning if i did it correctly is that when
> i recompiled the kernel because of the ident part it showed my old
> e-mail address as the user who compiled it.

Don't worry about that -- the kernel and the uname(1) utility just try
to provide you with information useful in figuring out what kernel
you're running.

Ciao,
Sheldon.