Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 14:34:51 +0100
From:      HEADHUNTER <s2dnwigg@bellatlantic.net>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Connecting to an ISP

Hello there.

	I am currently using a combination of both Windows NT and FreeBSD, which I purcahsed a couple of weeks ago in hopes of getting rid of all Microsoft software all together.  It's working well so far, and I am almost ready to re-install my system using only FreeBSD.  Before I can do that, however, I need to find out how on earth I can connect my PC to my ISP so that I can surf the net and check my e-mail (these two functions are the only use that I currently have for Windows NT).
	My modem is configured, and using the ppp command and then typing dial ISP I can get a dial tone, but I can't get my modem to dial.  Here's a copy of my /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file:

default:
 set device /dev/cuaa1
 set speed 28800
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATDT%s\r OK-AT-OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"

ISP:
 set phone .....
 set login .....
 set timeout .....
 set ifaddr .....
 add .....

I know my ISP's primary and secondary IP addresses, the domain name server, etc.  I have Netscape 4.04 Communicator setup, and I am otherwise ready to go (and I have long been ready to get rid of Windows!!!).
My only problem is dialing and connecting to my ISP.  I have used Lehey's book to get this far, but now I am stuck.  Any tips, code, or advice you could give me in helping me connect would be greatly appreciated.

DNW