Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 1999 17:09:15 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
Cc:        mmercer@ipass.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: removing a.out executables found in /usr/sbin?

On Friday,  2 April 1999 at  1:30:54 -0600, Jon Hamilton wrote:

> In message <19990402132258.V413@lemis.com>, Greg Lehey wrote:
>> On Thursday,  1 April 1999 at 22:17:01 -0500, Michael E. Mercer wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I have found a few executables in /usr/sbin that are
>>> a.out format...(at least that is what the command 'file' is telling
>>> me)
>>>
>>> Is it feasible to delete these files with no impact???
>>
>> That depends on whether you want to use them or not :-)
>>
>>> I would assume a 'make world' recompiled everything it needed
>>> in ELF format, therefore any a.out format files would not be
>>> needed?!?!?!
>>
>> I don't think they're from FreeBSD.  If so, they would have been
>> overwritten by new versions.
>
> Unless there _is_ no new version; /sbin/dset is a good example of
> cruft that gets left behind after upgrading to 3.1, and there are
> other examples as well.

$ file /sbin/dset
/sbin/dset: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), statically linked, stripped
$ uname -a
FreeBSD freebie.lemis.com 4.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT #135: Tue Mar 23 19:18:27 CST 1999     grog@freebie.lemis.com:/T/src/FREEBIE/src/sys/compile/FREEBIE  i386

I suspect this is one of the things that people moved from one
directory to another (typically from /usr/bin to /bin or /usr/sbin to
/sbin).  I've looked at my oldest machine and found no /usr/sbin/dset,
but I did find a /usr/sbin/sysctl, which has been replaced with
/sysctl.  I consider this an obscenity to move things without warning
people and without removing the old version on install, but to quote a
core team member:

> I think it is the responsibility of the sysadmin to clean out old
> garbage.   2.2 installs a symlink (although that is broken and there
> is a PR or two about it -- LN_FLAGS never actually worked), so there
> should no problem there.  3.0 was for developers who know what they
> are doing ;), so there should be no problem there.  4.0 is for
> developers...
>
> login.conf and dotfiles put /sbin before /usr/sbin in $PATH, and no
> one should put "." in $PATH, so the new version should always be
> preferred.

If you feel like putting in a PR, go for it.

Greg