Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2000 02:04:55 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISP in Si Valley

> I just relocated to San Jose, CA, and I know there are plenty of
> readers of this list in that area. Right now I am temporarily housed
> so coax cable or DSL are probably not worthwhile options. All I want
> is a local phone number to dial-up to. I'd just go with one of the
> national mega-ISPs, but the CDs they send out run on Windoze, which I
> do not. I can imagine the phone conversation now trying to extract the
> information needed to configure my PPP from one of their help desk
> drones. I shudder.
>
> Anyone have a suggestion for a local ISP in the Valley? I just want to
> call and connect, a maildrop is good but not necessary. No frills, low
> bills. If anyone can reassure me that using one of the big guys, AOL,
> ATT, etc., is not too painful (or the trick to make it painless), that
> would be just as good.

I use Primenet, which was acquired by Global Crossing.  I've used
them since they were just "Primenet", and I got them because they
had POPs in the areas in which I formerly lived, now lived,
expected to travel for the holidays with the family, and reasonably
expected to travel.

The official name is "GlobalCenter's Primenet" or just "GlobalCenter"
now.

I pay ~$20/month, which is pretty standard.  You can get cheaper
if you just want IP dialtone; if that's all you want, you might
want to check out UUNET dialups.  Be aware that without an ISP
mail relay, any dialup you get is probably not going to be able
to send mail to most of the world directly, unless you get a
static IP (and ARIN will not give out address blocks to ISPs who
give out static IPs to dialups, until they convert all their
dialups to dynamic IP).

If you get a shell account and use it for mail access, they have
very good Anti-SPAM as well (although I am told that I am on a
number of SPAMmer blacklists as "don't send to this guy, he will
volunteer as many hundreds of dollars worth of hours as it takes
to shut down your relay" ...it's good to be net.famous that way.
So your SPAM mileage may vary, but I think it probably won't).

I guess they are technically not "local", having started in Phoenix,
but they are pretty much everywhere, now.

They use BSDI systems for their shell accounts and mail servers,
so they are BSDI friendly, and their techs are BSD knowledgable.

You will get a Windows CDROM, and will have to know how to set up
PPP yourself, but you really can't avoid that.

They have plenty of local POPs (I might be shooting myself in the
modem here by saying this, I guess...).

They have also been outstanding as far as technical support; I
have had two configuration based hosted domain outages in perhaps
six years or so, and the person who answered the phone (usually
in the middle of the night) was able to resolve the problem
quickly and competently, and understood the technical jargon
involved in me tell them exactly what was wrong (I was right both
times, BTW, so that may have helped the promptness, but I rather
think it was their competence, and that they would have found the
problem themselves).

The only issue I have seen is that I have to have a somewhat longer
modem connection time than the default for PPP; I attribute this to
the default having been chosen prior to 56k modems becoming popular
with ISPs, and so the train time for 56k wasn't taken into account.

You may also wish to contact sef@kithrup.com; he's in the SJ area,
and has had truckk with several very good ISPs, including one that
would put Centrex ISDN in so that you payed flat rate tarrif for
ISDN connectivity, so long as you were in one of the Centrex LATEs.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.