Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 15:56:03 -0500
From:      Chris Browning <brownicm@prokyon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sshd warning: Remote host failed or refused to allocate a pseudo tty.

I'm trying to set up ssh into my firewall from a local machine. The firewall
rules are set up. sshd seems to be set up; I have it running successfully on
other machines. I can log into the firewall but get this:

    brownicm@molly$ ssh brownicm@192.168.1.21
    brownicm@192.168.1.21's password:
    Warning: Remote host failed or refused to allocate a pseudo tty.
    Warning: no access to tty (Bad file descriptor).
    Thus no job control in this shell.

It looks like sshd authenticates the request but the system won't allocate a
tty. When I originally built the firewall I edited /etc/ttys to remove all
the ttys I wouldn't be using (I thought). I commented out all but two virtual
terminals, all the dial-up terminals and all the pseudo terminals. I have
replaced a couple of pty's and a couple more ttyv's figuring that was the
problem. That didn't help.

Anyone have any ideas? Did I edit some other file I've forgotten?

Chris Browning
brownicm@prokyon.com