Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 12:52:36 -1000
From:      "Art Neilson, KH7PZ" <art@hawaii.rr.com>
To:        Scott Kenney <saken+freebsd-questions@hotel.rmta.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcp_wrappers

OK, so I just code hosts.allow and go??  Sounds like it.
How do I get logging of specific daemons such as telnetd to
get routed to a log file via syslog?

Thanks for your help!!  I converted from a 2.2.7 and am
stumbling across the differences ...

At 06:38 PM 6/27/99 -0400, you wrote:
>On Sun, Jun 27, 1999 at 12:35:21PM -1000, Art Neilson, KH7PZ wrote:
>> I noticed the release notes for FreeBSD 3.2 state tcp_wrappers is now
>> part of the system.  If this is the case, where is tcpd ???  I installed
>> the full set of stuff and no tcpd is found.  Does it just mean the network
>> daemons are compiled with tcp_wrappers?  I installed the tcp_wrappers port
>> and it seems to work fine, it's blocking access per hosts.allow rules
>> however I can't seem to get it to log the activity.  Looks like it defaults
>> to auth.info severity in the ALL: ALL: rule at the bottom of the canned
>> hosts.allow.  I added a syslog line to capture these messages, it looks
like

>inetd is built with libwrap, so tcpd is not nescessary.
>
>--
>Scott Kenney  >|<  saken@hotel.rmta.org

   __
  /  )    _/_  It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data.
 /--/ __  /    Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories,
/  (_/ (_<__   Instead of theories to suit facts.
                     -- Sherlock Holmes, "A Scandal in Bohemia"
Arthur W. Neilson III, KH7PZ
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support
art@hawaii.rr.com