Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 2002 21:32:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Mills <jmmills@telocity.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Mike Irwin <mikeirw@pobox.com>
Subject:   Re: Problems with RELENG_4_6 'buildworld'

Mike -

Thanks fpr writing.

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Mike Irwin wrote:

> >From the handbook:
>
>      19.4.15.2. My compile failed with lots of signal 11 (or other
>                 signal number) errors. What has happened?
>
>                 This is normally indicative of hardware problems.
>                 (Re)making the world is an effective way to stress
>                 test your hardware, and will frequently throw up
>                 memory problems. These normally manifest themselves as
>                 the compiler mysteriously dying on receipt of strange
>                 signals.
>
>                 A sure indicator of this is if you can restart the
>                 make and it dies at a different point in the process.

Yes, but that's not what happened to me. I got three failures at the same
step with the same error message.

> I had the same problem the first time I tried to buildworld. The
> culprit for me was an over-heated CPU. Once I made sure it was running
> cooler, buildworld worked like a charm.

Yes, I had the 'classic' symptoms, and I am convinced that the 'weak link'
is my disk drive - it was thrashing like mad and _very_ hot to the touch.

I opened up the box and got reliable builds. (A couple of fans are sitting
on the frame awaiting installation.)

This doesn't have the same profile, and at least a few others have the
same dump at the same line. Looks like a different problem.

 - John Mills