Date:      20 Jan 2002 11:45:00 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <usenet@penguinpowered.org.uk>
To:        <scanner@jurai.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what is a good language for system administration?

<scanner@jurai.net> writes:

> > rene@xs4all.nl writes:
> >
> > > * checking if a remote host is up
> > > * pumping files & RAM data through external tools
> > > * calling scripts written in the same language on a remote machine, to
> > >   'pickup' data that was pumped to that machine by a local script.
> >
> > Perl was written with sysadmin work in mind. That was the original
>
> Perl is a hideously ugly language that should be taken out and shot. Since
> your soliciting opinions :-) Python is a much easier, cleaner, and nicer
> language for sys admin tasksfor me then perl.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Python completely object orientated
? And doesn't it force you to write your code in an OO structure ? to
me that just seems like overkill for the average day to day sysadmin
task.

Perl code can be ugly and wrong, but if written properly, it is easily
readable and easy to work with.

--
- Wayne Pascoe
usenet@penguinpowered.org.uk     |