Date:      23 Nov 1999 20:03:04 +0200
From:      Vadim Belman <voland@plab.ku.dk>
To:        Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: speaking of 3.4...

	Hi Jamie!

On 23 Nov 99 at 19:26, "Jamie" (Jamie Norwood) wrote:

 >> Hm, I know few people who think twice before choosing FreeBSD for their
 >> needs. They think versions change too fast. For some this is a sign of
 >> bad stability (heh...) others just scared of necessity of following the
 >> releases.

 Jamie> Then they are, really, people who are making their decisions with
 Jamie> no regard to facts, which is not the problem of the FreeBSD

	You know, this is we who reads the list, who follows the branch on
	their desktops, who knows real problems, etc.

	But if you take a decent admin who merely must choose a server and
	who knows nothing but superficial facts including pace of release
	production - what do you think he will decide?

 Jamie> programmers to fix. -stable is just that, stable.  FreeBSD doesn't
 Jamie> do a release every three months because it crashes if they don't,
 Jamie> they do it because there are new features moved in that have been
 Jamie> tested enough to be considered safe for a production
 Jamie> environment. You can't have progress while not having releases to
 Jamie> add the functionality. If the people you discuss cannot realise
 Jamie> that, then either you need to correct them and explain why there

	I do it as it was told in the original message. Still, we cannot be
	everywhere and talk with everybody. Perhaps, there should be
	something easily reachable about it on the official web site?

 Jamie> are 'many' versions of FreeBSD, or else cater to their fears,
 Jamie> insecurities, and rash judgements and install NT or Solaris, which
 Jamie> have new 'versions' rarely, but have many patches to fix their
 Jamie> problems.

	Yeah, right. In two cases being known to me Solaris was
	choosen. Actually, they are satisfied. 8)
--
    /Voland			Vadim Belman
				E-mail: voland@plab.ku.dk