Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:51:23 +0300
From:      Igor Roboul <igorr@sysadm.stc>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.5 behind windows firewall. Unable to ftp.

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 03:41:52PM -0800, Nathan Arun wrote:
> What I'm not able to do is the seemingly simple thing. "ftp ftp.freebsd.org". This gives me an error message "no address associated with the hostname". "ftp -p ftp.freebsd.org" gives the same error message. "nslookup ftp.freebsd.org" also gives out similar message. I did "setenv FTP_PROXY OurProxy" and then tried ftp. Same error message.
This usually means that your /etc/resolv.conf does not contain IP of
your DNS server. DNS server is not same as WindowsNT Domain
controller. Maybe your system administrator had not setup DNS server
for your local network (because it is not very needed for
Windows-only networks)

But I may be wrong

--
Igor Roboul, System administrator at Speech Technology Center
http://www.speechpro.com http://www.speechpro.ru