Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 1996 16:44:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Leo Papandreou <leo@rur.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quantum Atlas woes

> According to Leo Papandreou:

That would be me.

> > Hot on the tails of a recent Barracuda failure, I installed a Quantum
> > XP34300 and upgraded from 2.0.5 to 2.1-Release (nice install btw.)
> >
> > When putzing around with small file operations everything seems
> > cool enough but when i attempt to mget or cp several hundred files
> > i invariably get a stream of i/o errors.
> >
> > Feb  3 23:54:54 bart /kernel: assertion "cp" failed: file "../../pci/ncr.c", line 5560
> > Feb  3 23:54:54 bart /kernel: sd1(ncr0:2:0): COMMAND FAILED (4 28) @f09b5400.
> >
> >                             [repeated ad nauseum]
> >

> > And on a reboot,
> >
> > DIRECTORY /foo: LENGTH 2576 NOT A MULTIPLE OF 512 (ADJUSTED)
> > FREE BLK COUNTS(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK (SALVAGED)
> > BLK(S) MISSING IN BIT MAPS (SALVAGED)
> > SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD (SALVAGED)
> > CLEAN FLAG NOT SET IN SUPERBLOCK (FIXED)

If anybody out there is actually looking through the ncr code or
considering eliminating it from consideration in one of their future
systems, dont.

The problem is easy to replicate - simply assign the same scsi id
to two different devices on the same chain. I know, I am not worthy
of even Linux.

It could happen to anybody, right? Anyway, both the driver and
the Atlas are running superbly now.

/Leo