Date:      Sun, 02 Jul 2000 11:44:22 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc rc commit breaks PicoBSD

Doug, FreeBSD-Small

When I boot with a 3.5-stable 'Dial' floppy, I get this message

  gzip: login.conf already exists: do you wish to overwrite (y or n)?
  gzip: rc already exists: do you wish to overwrite (y or n)?

Doug's recent commit (I fotget who suggested it, sorry)
was to change gzip  in mfs_tree/etc/rc to suppress this message
change gzip -d
to     gzip -df

Good plan.
The only problem was that the 'bridge' disk does not use gzip
It used minigzip which does not have the same -f flag.
minigzip always overwrites without checking. And -f means something
else.
Infact minigzip cannot handle merged flags. -d -f is OK, but -df fails.

So What Shall We Do?
We could have different /mfs_tree/etc/rc files for minizip disks
and for gzip disks. This is bad. We do not want to duplicate work here

Our options are (in order of my preference)

1) gunzip the files to a temporary directory, say /tmp
   and then copy the files to the /etc after
   (cp does not warn about overwriting files_)

2) put minigzip on the dial disk, as well as gzip.
   (plus the other disks)
   the mfs_root/etc/rc file can then call
   minigzip -d *.gz

   this puts 2 gzip programs on a disk. Although minigzip is very small

3) use gzip -d --force *.gz
   In gzip -f and --force mean the same thing. Force overwrites.
   This means a change to minigzip to support (and ignore) the --force
flag

OR
x) Can we simply rename 'rc' and 'login.conf' in /etc (or even delete
them)
   before we overwrite them?

What do people think.
Will Option 1) work? I'm about to try it out.

Once we have decided, I'll to the commits to 3.x-stable and test
the 'dial' and 'bridge' disks

Roger