Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:01:40 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        kalin mintchev <kalin@el.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: snd_sb8  sound blaster PRO

--ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 05:13:20AM -0500, kalin mintchev wrote:
> hi all....
>=20
> ok..  trying to build sound kernel support on a t30 thinkpad with
> 5.3-RELEASE.
> according the ibm website the card is Sound Blaster Pro compatible.
> according to the /boot/defaults/loader.conf the driver is snd_sb8
>=20
> so following the instructions in the handbook i put this in my custom ker=
nel
>=20
> device     sound
> device     "snd_sb8"
>=20
> make depend is ok. make stops with this:
[snip]
> linking kernel
> sb8.o(.text+0x11): In function `sb_lock':
> : undefined reference to `sbc_lock'
> sb8.o(.text+0x29): In function `sb_unlock':
> : undefined reference to `sbc_unlock'
> *** Error code 1

Take a look at the src/sys/conf/NOTES file; the comment that describes
snd_sb8 also says 'to be used in conjunction with snd_sbc'.  Try adding
a device "snd_sbc" line to your kernel config file, see if it helps :)

Also, there may be no need to compile the sound driver into the kernel.
If you have not defined a MODULES_OVERRIDE variable in your environment
or your /etc/make.conf file, then, by default, the kernel building
process will also build all modules.  All that you need after that is to
either manually issue a 'kldload snd_sb8' command, or add to your
/boot/loader.conf a line saying:

snd_sb8_load=3D"YES"

=2E..as documented in the loader.conf(5) manual page.

Hope that helps!

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net    roam@cnsys.bg    roam@FreeBSD.org
Thit sentence is not self-referential because "thit" is not a word.

--ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv

--ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv--