Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 2004 20:59:11 -0400
From:      "Edward Carmody" <ecarmody@hudsonvalleynetworks.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NTPD hangs on boot

Hi,

Recently did a cvsup and make world procedure, have a couple glitches.

NTP will no longer start by enabling it in rc.conf.  At each boot I see =
the
"starting nptd"...and then nothing; the booting process hangs.  I have =
kill nptd via ctrl-c.  Then boot process proceeds normally.  I can =
manually
start nptd from the command line, and it starts, runs and syncs up =
normally.

Probably related, after the make world, sendmail also gave me trouble,
complaining that it could find file after configuration file (all of =
which
existed).  Then it would inform me that "Recipient names must be =
specified"
as if I was trying to use sendmail to send a message.  I screwed around =
with
this for a while, to no avail, then just installed postfix 'cause I =
missed
my mail server too much.  That fixed the issue with sendmail hanging up =
the
boot.

Any clues to what I might have done wrong, or neglected to do?  I'm =
puzzled,
have man'd, googled, and not found much...

/ed