Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2001 09:26:17 -0500
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe <mitayai@home.mitayai.net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VMWare2.0 on FreBSD 4.2

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 12:42:34AM -0500, Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe wrote:
> Hello!
> I have a up-to-date FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE (as of today) with a newly
> installed kernel and linux emulation port.
>
> I'm trying to start up VMWare using an existing disk, but it keeps
> complaining about having a bad disk label or something, and i notice that
> it is trying to access wdXsYZ even though i use the new adXsYZ format.
>
> I also notice that in /compat/linux/dev i only have hda, hdb, etc with no
> slice entries... maybe this is significant?
>
> Anyway, if anyone can offer any advice on how to get VMWare to work with
> existing disks, i'd appreciate it.
You have try to use some FreeBSD related readme files coming together
with vmware port, and try to make you existing partiotions works using
plain disks.

--
Vladimir

P.S. If you lookign to use WinXXX XXX Don't forget to boot in safe mode and
create different hardware profile, at other case you can easily screwed up
you existing setup.