Date:      13 Jan 2000 15:37:43 -0500
From:      evs@telerama.com
To:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr, Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
Cc:        Mikhail Evstiounin <evstiounin@adelphia.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Giving a sighandler more information

Evstiounin wrote:

> [...]
clausthal.de>
questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
> > Date: Wednesday, January 12, 2000 9:37 PM
> > Subject: Re: Giving a sighandler more information
> >

> In fact in most Unix incarnations that I've worked
with so far, the
> size of `int' is the same as the size of `long'.
However, `long' has
> the size of the longest value that can be stored in a
word on a given
> architecture, and this is usually just the right size
for storing
> pointers ;)

Yeap, 100% agreed, I installed gcc on all platforms I
worked, excep those that have GCC as a nativre compiler
(FreeBSD, Linux, OpenBSD, NetBSD) - HP-UX 9.x, 10.x,
11.x; IBM AIX 3.xx, 4.xx, Sequent Dynix/ptx - numerous
versions. But we always implemented int as a longest
value that could be stored in a word and long usually
made longer than int (not always) - reason beind it if
somebody wants to use long - compiler should give thos
possibility to user, even long can work a little bit
slower.

> > Sorry, guys, but it requirenments of ANSI that
sizeof(void*) ==
> > sizeof(int). Don't get me wrong, I like Alpha, but
alpha compiler is
> > not 100% ANSI compatible. If you take a look at HP
aCC and 64 bit
> > architecture - you will see the same. So, let me
rephrase it - in
> > ANSI world you could do it. and question does it
mean that alpha
> > integer is 32 bit, or pointer has more than 64? I
used GNU C a couple
> > of times there and everything was OK. Is it a
special compiler?

> GNU cc is a different compiler than those usually
shipped from the so
> called `vendors'.

Yeap, and gcc team never claimed like many vendors,
that gcc is ANSI copatible.

> It is not 100% ANSI compliant either, but those few
features that are
> not ANSI-safe can be turned off with an option.  To
qquote the GCC
> manuals, one can use -ansi to "turn off certain
features of GNU C that
> are incompatible with ANSI C, such as `asm', `inline'
and `typeof'
> keywords".
>
> For even stricter ANSI support, the use of -pedantic
will "cause
> non-ANSI programs to be rejected gratuitously".
>
> --
> Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
> "What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing."
[Aristotle]

the message

Sincerely yours
Mikhail Evstiounin