Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:50:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Lewis <nepolon@systray.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: network topologies, routing, TCP/IP

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Crist J . Clark wrote:

> > 1) Bind 2 IPs to one interface.  I have seen it done in Linux, but I can't
> > find a way to do this with FreeBSD in the docs.  How can I bind 1.2.3.5 to
> > frontline's public interface in addition to it's current IP address?
>
> Read ifconfig(8),

*SMACK*  I overlooked that parameter completely.  Thank you.

> Anyway, I suggest using the 'redirect_address' feature of natd(8). Put
> this other box behind the firewall with one of your RFC1918 numbers
> and redirect 1.2.3.5 to that machine.

I was planning to use redirect_port instead, because there is only a
narrow list of ports on that bastion host that I want to be outwardly
accessible (port 80 and a couple other web interfaces), but there are more
services running on the box for the benefit of those inside the LAN (a
RDBMS, source management, etc).  I have used redirect_port successfully in
the past. Any reason I shouldn't use it here?

To review the topology:

   Internet
   -
   firewall dc0-1.2.3.4 dc1-192.168.0.1
   -
-> ---192.168.0.10 aka 1.2.3.5
   -
   inner_wall ep0-192.168.0.254 ep1-a LAN IP
   -
   LAN

--Steve