Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 16:58:16 +0100
From:      Peter Cornelius <pc@inr.fzk.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        pc@inr.fzk.de
Subject:   ? OpenGL ?

Hi there,

I came across a piece of software that claims to speed up considerably,
namely idl 5.1, when running on "special hardware", because it is
programmed in "OpenGL". Now, this one caught me the open, I have no idea
about it at all:

- I understand that OpenGL describes a standard to access video hardware
  (i. e. graphics adapters) that provide certain (which?) hardware
  facilities to accelerate graphics generation and output, is that true ?
- If so, what does Xfree about it ?
- Is it a client or a server issue (when using two machines)?
- Is there anyone who has experience with it to comment on performance ?

Any short comments (or pointers) appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Best regards,

Peter.

PS.: Please include a Cc: Peter Cornelius <pc@inr.fzk.de> to me :-) Thanks.