Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2006 17:28:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ensel Sharon <user@dhp.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: quick check - adaptec 2820sa on FreeBSD 6.1 ?

> Are you asking because you need advice on whether or not to purchase it?

Yes.  I do not own it and am trying to decide whether to buy the 2810SA,
which is explicitly mentioned in the 6.1-RELEASE hardware notes, OR the
2820sa which has raid-6, which I want very much.

So it sounds like it works just as well as any other aac, like my trusty
old PERCs ?

In the product description, they list the supported raid levels
(0,1,5,10,50) and then list other raid levels (1E,5EE,6,60) under
"advanced data protection suite".  That's just market copy, right ?  Those
other raid levels are selectable and controlled trough the raid bios like
everyone is always used to ?  Or is there some wacky software or plug-in
or daughterboard or something ?

I want to use raid-6 with FreeBSD, is what I am trying to say.

Thanks for your help.