Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 2010 20:51:44 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: binding on 127.0.0.1 not working after upgrade to 7.3

On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 10:51:37PM -0400, Mikhail T. wrote:
> Jeremy Chadwick написав(ла):
> > Check ifconfig -a and make sure lo0 appears / has a correct IP address,
> > and the interface is up.
> >
> You are right, it is not up:
>
>     lo0: flags=8008<LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
>
> Manually running `ifconfig lo0 127.0.0.1' fixed the problem for the time
> being...
>
> But why? What changed so significantly in the last few month, that lo0
> broke, of all things? :-)

It hasn't broken on any of the systems I maintain, including my own two
home servers.  If this problem was common/widespread, there'd be a lot
more reports of it coming in.

There is likely something else going on in your rc.conf or configuration
setup (possibly you botched a mergemaster merge?) which is causing the
problem.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |