Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 1999 20:15:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund), kaleb@ics.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inetd in realloc(): warning: junk pointer, too low to make sense.

:> > My 3.0-RELEASE system, up some 17 days, is now doing this when I telnet
:> > (or ping, or anything else that uses inetd) to it. (I don't know how long
:> > it's been like this, perhaps it explains why my outgoing email seem to
:> > be being dropped on the floor.
:> >
:> > Do I remember correctly that there was some fix for this made shortly
:> > before 3.0-RELEASE? Did the fix not make it into 3.0-RELEASE? Before
:> > I go snag the LaG inetd sources, will that fix the problem?
:>
:> This has been fixed recently (last week, I think).  Not fixed for
:> 3.0-RELEASE.
:
:This fixes the inetd problem, but doesn't fix the mmap "page corruption"
:due to a stale page reference not being revoked properly after a low
:swap condition causes clean pages in an mmap'ed image to be reaped out.
:
:					Terry Lambert
:					terry@lambert.org

    Dmitrij Tejblum commited a patch to vm/swap_pager.c on December 29th
    that should fix that problem.  Neither David Greenman nor I could quite
    figure out why it seemed to fix the problem but we speculated that
    something in vm/vm_fault.c is clearing the vm_page_t dirty bits after
    the swap code re-set them, resulting in a page incorrectly marked clean.

    Have you updated your kernel since then?  Is the problem still there?

    If that doesn't fix, my new swap code hopefully will but I don't intend
    to commit it into the new -stable branch for at least a few months... it
    will only be in the new -current branch.  We'd want to find a solution
    for the new -stable branch sooner then that.

						-Matt

:---
:Any opinions in this posting are my own and not those of my present
:or previous employers.
:
:with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message
:

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)