Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 13:32:39 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Adam Turoff <AdamT@smginc.com>
Cc:        hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'sef@kithrup.com'" <sef@kithrup.com>
Subject:   RE: Mike Shaver: Netscape gives away source code for Communicator

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Adam Turoff wrote:

> Uh, no.  According to the press announcement, the source is going out
> under the GPL.  They get the rights to see any new feature someone
> comes up with and can't limit use of the source.  Should be free to use
> with the *BSD/Linux/etc. CDs.
>
> How they're going to deal with that and make the value added versions
> worth paying for and not GPL'ed is going to be interesting.

It is a promotional exercise.  They get 10000 hackers brains making
Netscape's browser the best in the world, and so corporations will
naturally go to Netscape for web and proxy servers etc.

What I like about this announcement is that it necessarily becomes legal
to carry a Netscape mirror site (I hope!)

Danny