Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 18:46:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading - one more time please

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Sue Blake wrote:

> I have a growing collection of opinions on what is the best method of
> upgrading from early in one branch of -STABLE to the next branch of
> -STABLE, e.g. all at once with "make upgrade" or jump one "version" at
> a time (not well defined for -STABLE), convert from -STABLE to -RELEASE
> and then -STABLE again or not, do it all with sources or do an
> "upgrade" installation of binaries then revert to make world, or throw
> the disk away and start again. I've gathered quite an assortment of
> conflicting ideas so far with no more than two people agreeing on any
> of them. What's your favourite method?

	Your collection is due in part to people handing out data that is
no longer pertinent due to changes/improvements in the process, and the
fact that "best" is a relative term, depending on the user.

	My answer for what you should do depends on a few things. First,
ever done a make world upgrade before? If not I would say don't start with
this project. In all likelihood you would be much better off by backing up
your important data, using the 3.whatever CD's you have to do a clean
install (wipe disk(s), install from scratch) then restore your data. That
way you don't have to worry about bogons from the 2.2 installation causing
you mysterious problems in 3.x. Then once that is done, take a look at
Nik's page on make world upgrades and take it from there.

	If you have done a make world or two and are comfortable with the
process, depending on how old your system is I'd upgrade it to the most
recent 2.2.8-Stable, then do the make upgrade. Actually, I'd recommend
that you do this anyway just to be on the safe side. You should still back
up your data though, since any upgrade process is potentially destructive.

	The details of the process will have to wait for this weekend
though, I have two pages of notes on things to do before during and after,
and I want to test my written procedure first on my last remaining 2.2.8
box before I publish it.

Good luck,

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter