Date:      Sat, 03 Jun 2000 15:24:54 +0200
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   BPF and DHCP

Hi!

Got following issue:

I have my workstation running 4.0 Release (german Lehmanns dist) with a
generic Realtek NIC configured (for several reasons) as non-PnP ed0.

Everythings working so far.

For using DHCP support on our dorm's network (and to obey local policy ;-)
) I wanted to use it. So I compiled BPF into the kernel, and it works.

But one thing troubles me:
At least under 3.2R , there was a boot-up message saying :ed0 promiscuous
mode enabled

Problem is, that another part of local policy forbids cards being in
promisc mode due to possible sniffer attacks etc.

Questions: (man bpf left some questions open)

Can I assume. that with the presence of bpf the card is _always_ put in
promisc. mode?

If thats the case, are there any other thinkable ways to use the DHCP
service for automatic IP assignment?

And, final one, to be prepared for heated discussion with local admin: In
which ways does Linux do DHCP? (He is some hardcore Linux guy)

TIA
Olaf Hoyer

--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)