Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 18:19:10 -0500
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        bob bobing <this_is_my_act@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: my fbsd laptop just died. (NO!!!!!)

I'm extrapolating from IBM thinkpads, but I believe the
"troubleshooting" section of the product manual listed the beep-codes.

I believe that most motherboards share most of the first three beeps
(more likely from common bios's, I suppose).

I'd start by using the drive from the second one.  If that gives the
same message, I would look for another laptop that uses the same kind
of drive, boot into single user and back up the data that you've really
been meaning to back up (or to multi-user if it won't start X) before
doing anything else--but I'm paranoid :)

hawk

--
What part of "non-negotiable" didn't you understand? /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700           \ /   against HTML mail