Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 2002 22:50:08 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Traffic shaping - current best practice?

On 18 Sep 2002, Kirk Strauser wrote:

> I'm looking for a solution that would allow the non-paying hosts to have
> full use of the bandwidth as long as the paying hosts are idle, but which
> would ensure that the paying customers have their full bandwidth available
> any time they need it.

You need a "fair sharing" queueing discipline, something like CBQ. I don't
know if you can do that with dummynet. I know for sure ALTQ works great for
this.  It supports a bunch of queueing disciplines (CBQ, RED, WFQ and
others).

you can download it at http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/person/kjc/kjc/software.html
There is an effort to integrate it into -CURRENT, but I don't remember
the URL.

> I've used both ipfw and ipfilter.  I have no particular preference, although
> a solution that supports bridging would be a bonus (which I think will limit
> me to ipfw, but I'm not certain).

No if you use ALTQ. ALTQ is firewall-agnostic =0).

Hope this helps.

			Fer