Date:      Wed, 06 Sep 2006 19:26:23 +0100
From:      Vince Hoffman <jhary@unsane.co.uk>
To:        Aaron Bliss <aaron.bliss@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: easy patch management tools

Aaron Bliss wrote:
> Hi everyone, first let me say that I'm pretty new to bsd, so please
> forgive
> the newbie questions; I've been using linux (redhat, suse, centos) for
> many
> years, and so learning bsd was a bit of a learning curve, but not bad (I
> almost never use gui's for administration); I was wondering if there
> are any
> packagement tools for freebsd/pcbsd that offer simular functionality to
> up2date or yum; I take care of installing and updating complete rpm based
> systems using yum, and have not found a tool simular to yum for
> freebds (I'm
> also trying to stay away from pbi's, since they are specific to
> pcbsd); I've
> used the pkg_add, pkg_delete, portupgrade tools, but am just looking
> for an
> easy way to ensure my entire bsd box is updated; Also, as I understand
> it,
> bsd makes use of ports, by using tools such as cvsup, however I have
> never
> had much success compiling my own software, as such much prefer to use
> binary packages, which I understand that the freebsd authors provide; for
> example, if I wanted to install pine, I would much rather install it by
> running pkg_add -r pine ; I'm just looking for a simple way to update
> currently installed binaries, simular to installing new binaries with
> pkg_add ; thanks very much for your help with this.
>
> Aaron
portupgrade has an option in /usr/local/etc/pktools.conf which sounds
like what you want.
# USE_PKGS: array
  # USE_PKGS_ONLY: array
  #
  # These are lists of ports that you prefer to use packages to
  # upgrade or install.  They apply -P/--use-packages and
  # -PP/--use-packages-only to specific ports, respectively.
  #
  # cf. -P/--use-packages and -PP/--use-packages-only of
  # portupgrade(1) and portinstall(1)
  #
  # e.g.:
  #   USE_PKGS = [
  #     'perl',
  #     'ruby',
  #     'python',
  #   ]
  #
  #   USE_PKGS_ONLY = [
  #     'x11*/XFree86*',
  #     '*openoffice*',
  #   ]

  USE_PKGS = [
  ]

  USE_PKGS_ONLY = [
  ]

use portversion -l "<" to see whats not at the latest version, and use
portaudit to see which (if any) have security issues.

I use
USE_PKGS = [
 "*/*",
]

on machines what are slow or low on disk space but let portupgrade build
from source otherwise as I like to fine tune the compile options from
time to time

hope this helps.
Vince