Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 2010 21:03:54 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@black-earth.co.uk>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, Peter Harrison <peter.piggybox@virgin.net>
Subject:   Re: Perl upgrade problem...

--------------enig3C94F45809E2DF050A94171E

On 12/02/2010 20:50, Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Peter Harrison
> <peter.piggybox@virgin.net>wrote:
>=20
>> Up till now I've kept Perl on my machine at 5.8.9. I now see from UPDA=
TING
>> that upgrading to 5.10 is recommended.
>>
>> However, when I follow the instructions, I get the following error:
>>
>> laptop# portupgrade -o lang/perl5.10 -f perl-5.8.9_3
>>
>=20
> if you're referring to this:
>=20
> 20090911:
>   AFFECTS: users of lang/perl5.10
>   AUTHOR: skv@FreeBSD.org
>=20
>   lang/perl5.10 has been updated to 5.10.1.  You should update everythi=
ng
>   that depends on perl.  The easiest way to do that is to use
>   "perl-after-upgrade" script supplied with lang/perl5.10.  Please see =
its
>   manual page for details.
>=20
>   If you want switch to lang/perl5.10 from lang/perl5.8 please follow
>   instructions in the entry 20090328 in this file.
>=20
> Then you have misunderstood what it's saying.  That only applies to fol=
ks
> already running 5.10 and if you have no need for that then do nothing
> further.  If you really believe you need to run 5.10 then you should fo=
llow
> the complete instructions from the entry.
>=20

Err... he's following the right instructions.  It's just that since
those instructions were written there have been some badly thought-out
changes in bsd.ports.mk.  Any time you try and use portupgrade to
replace one port with another now, you'll likely need to tell it to
ignore CONFLICTS settings:

   # portupgrade -m DISABLE_CONFLICTS=3Dyes -o lang/perl5.10 \
        -f perl-5.8.9_3

Then reinstall every port that depends on perl -- you can't use
perl_after_upgrade for this update: the delta in version numbers is too
large.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.              7 Priory Courtyard, Flat 3
Black Earth Consulting                       Ramsgate
                                             Kent, CT11 9PW
Free and Open Source Solutions               Tel: +44 (0)1843 580647