Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 09:24:30 -0600
From:      Hal Snyder <hal@vailsys.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Fwd: Re: Netbios (Samba) routing across TCP/IP]

> > Has any work been done or is anybody currently doing work
> > on software that will let FreeBsd and/or Samba route netbios
> > between LAN's or across the internet.

NetBIOS is an API designed for the PC.  Implementations exist for
various protocols, including TCP/IP, IPX, and NetBEUI.  NBT (NetBIOS
over TCP, RFC's 1001/1002) comes standard with Win95 and NT.

> There is no extra work required. It works as long as you can make the
> TCP/IP hosts known to the participating machines. Make to host known
> to your DNS server and enter the name in LMHOSTS or HOSTS (?).

Or run a WINS server on the Internet, assuming you're not behind a
firewall that blocks TCP and UDP port 137.  I think there are public
WINS servers on the Internet as well, not sure how they do
registration.  One site is at winserve.com.