Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 1995 23:54:31 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        "Duane R. Ellison " <duane@dtq.ptw.com>
Cc:        questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: execute script

>Hello,
>
>I am having a slight problem making a script executeable chmod 777
>script_file.  I thought maybe I was doing something wrong but I tried in
>on my service provider's system (linux) and it worked fine...
>
>basically
>vi dome
>echo Hello world!!!
><:wq>
>chmod 777 dome
>dome
>Hello world!!!
>
>On my system I get an unknown command.  I figure I have something messed
>up, but I am not sure what.  Any clues would be appreciated.

It sounds like Linux is messed up.  What you forgot to do is tell
the system what kind of script you wrote.  Try adding this line at
the top of the file:

#!/bin/csh

This will run the commands through csh.  My guess is that Linux is
defaulting to sh or something for executable asci files.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1