Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 15:46:42 +0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: (fwd) Re: F00F bug *fixed* in 2.0.x kernels

(following up to -chat)

On Thu, Dec 11, 1997 at 11:04:00PM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> Yeah, I think everyone's seen this Torvalds flame by now.
>
> The sad thing was, that was *not* the FreeBSD fix.  It was a fix that
> had been floated earlier by someone on the mailing lists and was never
> committed to the tree - the eventual fix which made it in was the
> Intel fix.  Intel, in fact, even commented on that first proposed fix
> even earlier than Linus did and told us why it wouldn't work.
>
> There was never any intention of using the fix that Linus cites, it
> was just one of many fixes under evaluation, and all he's done here is
> gone off half-cocked again with accompanying language which simply
> made the mistake far worse than it needed to be.  People will often
> forgive one even the most blatant suppositions if one is polite about
> them.  Make even a minor error with the tagline "(you fucking idiot!)"
> embeded, however, and you can count on being embroiled in flames for
> at least a month.  I think Miss Manners may be on to something
> here. :-)

In fact, this was the first I had seen of it.  How do people manage to
read the news groups as well?

It's a pity that Linus seems to be becoming less professional in his
approach.  In that message, he reminded me more of a football hero
hurling invective after a match.  Is this the price of fame?

Greg