Date:      Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:47:43 -0400
From:      Mykroft Holmes IV <mykroft@explosive.mail.net>
To:        Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISPs blocking SMTP connections from dynamic IP address space

Doug Poland wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 12:34:45PM -0400, Lucas Holt wrote:
>
>>I do understand the counter argument about blocking ips.. but i think
>>thats frustration talking.  Even if ip blocking is an improvement, it
>>won't stop spam.
>>

> Agreed, does anyone know why requiring reverse DNS isn't "good enough"?
> I've asked both AOL and Time Warner but have received no response.

These Residential/Dynamic blocks are usually reversed. And they cause
the vast majority of problems that originate in North America. Frankly,
alot of people simply blacklist 24.* for this reason.

If your provider's mail servers suck, and they have blocks tagged as
Dynamic, and you have no other options, it's time to make a deal with
someone to relay your mail for you.

Adam