Date:      Sat, 2 Jan 1999 23:25:13 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS, the time has come...

>> We must remember that rc.* is not an acceptible solution because
>> devices can come and go.
>
> Devices which come and go will need a daemon anyway to swing them
> into action (mount, ifconfig and so on).

That's not true (think modems), and putting 'permission' policy into
mount and ifconfig is utter silliness.

> I have deliberately kept this daemon out of the picture, because
> it raises another bunch of sensitive issues and it does not depend
> on the persistence or not of the underlying DEVFS.

Sure it does.  It's the biggest downfall with persistence mechanism that
has been proposed so far, since we need *some* way of establishing
security/local policy.

Assuming we agree that a non-persistent DEVFS is acceptable, we still
need some way of setting policy, and so far the most common solution is
the rc.* solution, which is inadequate.

> I would like to ask you all to refocus on the POLA part of the discussion
> here, since all the other stuff you have raised all have technical (if in
> some cases cumbersome) solutions for both kinds of DEVFS.
>
> Obviously if we implement the daemon-assisted approach right away,
> we could make it a switch if we wanted persistence, but I think that
> would be asking for trouble BIG time.  Then some systems would have it
> and others not, and 3rd party developers would be screwed badly.
>
> The question remains more or less:
>
> 	Do we want a "chmod 764 /dev/foo" to be persistent over reboot,
> 	despite the significant amount of code it takes, and the potential
> 	to pop out of the blue six months later and bite people ?

Yes.

> So far I hear the following clear opinion:
>
> 	Joerg: non-persistent
> 	DavidG: non-persistent
> 	Poul-Henning: non-persistent

It matters more what the users want, or FreeBSD will go the way of the
Dodo bird and NeXT-OS.  'It was nice for awhile, but the developers
didn't want to fix the hard problems and instead opted for a solution
that was *worse* than the existing scheme.'

That is my opinion of the what has been portrayed as of late by a number
of developers, and which you continue to portray.  Non-persistent DEVFS
is the most critical portion of POLA.

For those developers who use it in embedded systems (wcarchive, you,
etc...), non-persistence isn't important simply because you are capable
of setting policy due to your familiarity with the system.  But, your
average user (and above-average user) will have a difficult time, and/or
make their system insecure.

Nate