Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 17:09:17 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        dougb@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Why special handling of nfsclient kernel support in etc/rc?

Hi Doug,

I refer to the following change you made to src/etc/rc:

revision 1.286
date: 2001/10/19 06:50:52;  author: dougb;  state: Exp;  lines: +19 -4
Handle the lack of nfs server or client support in the kernel by
kldload'ing the appropriate modules before enabling the service.

Why is this needed?  Shouldn't the vfsload() code in mount_nfs(1) handle
this?

	error = getvfsbyname("nfs", &vfc);
	if (error && vfsisloadable("nfs")) {
		if(vfsload("nfs"))
			err(EX_OSERR, "vfsload(nfs)");
		endvfsent();    /* clear cache */
		error = getvfsbyname("nfs", &vfc);
	}

I ask because I'd like to reintroduce my original "late mounting of
remote filesystems" support before 4.5-RELEASE (with the release
engineer's permission, of course).

I noticed that my patch no longer applies because of the quoted change,
but I can't see why the quoted change is necessary.

Thanks,
Sheldon.