Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 15:50:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-ports
Subject:   Re: ports/5884: New port: icqjava-0.981a (net/icqjava)

The following reply was made to PR ports/5884; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To: Ugo Paternostro <paterno@dsi.unifi.it>
Cc: "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>,
        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 10:17:27 +1030

 > > Hmm.. It depends on the 1.1.5 of the JDK... 1.1 doesn't work :)
 > Are you talking about the port, or the ICQ program iteself? The port depends
 I am talking about 1.1.5 of the JDK - I had JDK 1.1 installed, and when I ran
 ICQ it tried to do a stack trace, but the anti-decompilation stuff munged all
 the error messages so I couldn't see what went wrong. When I upgraded to JDK
 1.1.5 (*12* megs later) it worked fine.. I haven't tested it much though..
 (ie hardly at all :)

 > /usr/ports/lang/jdk, that is supposed to be 1.1.5, *BUT*, on my -STABLE
 > installation, the program will work only with jdk 1.1: if I use jdk 1.1.5, it
 > is able to connect to the ICQ server and to receive messages, but it cannot s
 > messages, fetch information about users or add new users.
 Ahh.. interesting... I am running -current

 > On the -CURRENT machine of a friend of mine it works perfectly with jdk 1.1.5
 Well it seems to work fine for me. :)

 > I'm gonna try ASAP the new (25 ?) release of jdk 1.1.5
 > > (I don't know how you'd go about testing this, but its just a warning if yo
 > > are going to use it that you need 1.1.5 or it breaks)
 > I did test, but (of course) I got the opposite results. Is Murphy there? ;-)
 Hah.. big suprise there.. :)
 The JDK has been known to have dodgy networking, but tracing the bug appears
 to be quite difficult.. (I can tell this because there are lots of smart
 people working on it and its still broken :)

 |Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer for Genesis Software |
 |http://www.gsoft.com.au                                            |
 |The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to|
 |choose from. -- Andrew Tanenbaum                                   |