Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 12:03:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Russell D. Murphy" <rdmurphy@neale.econ.vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.6 install problem

I'm tring to install 2.2.6 (w/ Walnut Creek CD-ROM) on a Gateway Solo
5100 laptop.  At this point, the machine will boot FreeBSD and I have
reconfigured the kernel.

However, I had hoped to keep the existing Windows installation of
(roughly 540MB) in place, so I:

- defragmented the disk (in Windows)
- (created a tar backup on a separate machine)
- from the 4GB disk:

offset	size	end	name	PType	Desc	Subtype
0	63	62	-	6	unused	0
63	8007489	8007551	wd0s1	2	fat	12

I tried to keep the 63 sector(?) "unused" piece in place, deleted the
second piece, and then recreated a 1000m dos (fat) partition, and
assigned the rest to freebsd.

The problem is that when I try to boot into Windows, I get:

----------
F1 . . . dos
F2 . . . BSD

Default: F2   <press F1>
Starting Windows 95...

< Windows opening graphic screen >

Type the name of the Command Interpreter (e.g., C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)

Then, no matter what I type, the last two lines are repeated.  Is
there any way to resurrect this Windows installation?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Russ Murphy

--
Russell D. Murphy