Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 09:59:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        drosih@rpi.edu
Cc:        areilly@bigpond.net.au, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: diff & patch problem with 'No newline'

In message: <p0511171bb8ef272024ba@[128.113.24.47]>
            Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> writes:
: At 9:07 PM +1000 4/26/02, Andrew Reilly wrote:
: >On Fri, 2002-04-26 at 14:12, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
: >>  So, that's my pitch.  I feel fairly strongly that there is a
: >>  real advantage in following the lead of Linux (+anyone using
: >  > gnu-diff) and NetBSD in this matter.
: >
: >I know that you didn't ask for it, but I'd like to voice a
: >strong vote of "yea" for (at least) teaching our patch to
: >handle the "\no new line" in diffs.
:
: I'm willing to ask for any votes of "yea".  It's the votes
: of "nay" that I'm not asking for...   :-) :-)

My plans had always been to back out Green's change (with Green's
permission, btw) when there was a patch that could grok things.  The
back out wouldn't be MFC'd until after at least one release.  Since
this was historical FreeBSD behavior, and modern patches grok the end
of line things, I see this as a no brainer: just do it once patch is
patched :-)

Warner