Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:27:40 -0500
From:      Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sendmail: host name lookup failure

Paul A. Hoadley writes:

>   There are numerous hits from Google on very similar issues, but
>   almost all the solutions point at DNS problems.  If there is a
>   local DNS issue, I can't find it.

	Because it may not be what you think.
	Yesterday, I upgraded my -CURRENT system from mid-October.
Afterward a number of major bits, starting with sendmail wouldn't
start and showed classic signs of DNS problems.
	Now named had complained - though the message went by too fast
for me to track, it was something about missing files - but loaded
and there were no weird messages in the log.  Also rndc didn't work.
	I was totally confused ... until I did "ps -ax | grep named"
and found an unrequested "-t /var/named" at the end of the command
line.  So what's that about?
	"-t" causes named to run chrooted, per entry 20040928.
	That's not according to spec.  My spec, anyway.
	Killed named, restarted with only approved command line,
restarted all affected programs ... and life was good again.

	I have since tracked down the flag in /etc/defaults/rc.conf
that caused this and made appropriate adjustments.

	Don't know if this is your problem but in case it helps.

				Robert Huff