Date:      25 Apr 2001 22:37:17 +1000
From:      tigger@ebom.org
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.3 Release - Unstable?

I'm newish to FreeBSD but have had no problems with 4.2 Current, I had
Apache/PHP/CVS/ftpd/sshd all running really smooth. So I deceided to
try 4.3 Release.

My box is only a test box that I can rebuild at will, so a fresh install
from scratch is what I went for.

4.3 installed fine, but w3m (a text web browser, nicer than lynx) and
wget where missing, this was a small suprise, oh well, move on.

Then the wierd things start.... For no reason at all the box starts
to reboot while I'm trying to install PHP via ssh (as root).
This took me a while to work out as I do not have a monitor on the
box (and why I was using ssh). I think I have stuffed up and do
another install from scratch.

This time, I set up a monitor on the box and left it standing for
24hours and the box has rebooted once by itself, and once right now
while I was installing php. Here is the dump that I was able to catch
for the first time.

-----------------------
fault virtual address   = 0x3a
fault code              = supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc02b970f
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xc51aae80
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xc51aae20
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enable, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 16924 (cc1)
interrupt mask          = net tty bio cam
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault

syncing disks... 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80
giving up on 57 buffers
Uptime: 8h39m24s

stuff about rebooting....

Hope this helps someone and I have no idea if its related to php or
not but the fact it reboot (crashed) while standing still earlyer
today says to me I have done/configured something wrong or my ram
has died or something else :]

If its me, please let me know, FreeBSD 4.2 was very nice.

Tigger-oN